Tips for Motorcycle Trips in Austria
What do you have to take into consideration when traveling to Austria? Which documents do you have to take with you? Louis provides you with answers to the most important questions. No liability is accepted for errors – Louis does not accept any responsibility for the accuracy of information.
Documents you must have with you
- Driving licence and vehicle registration certificate
- ID card or passport (since 26.6.12 it has also been obligatory for children travelling within the EU to have their own identity document.)
- International Motor Insurance Card (Green Card) is recommended.
First-aid kit / Hi-vis vest
Motorcycles must carry a first-aid kit containing suitable wound dressings and in dustproof packaging. A high-visibility vest is not mandatory for motorcycle riders…
It is mandatory to wear a helmet! Only helmets which conform to the ECE 22 standard are approved.
Motorcycles must have their headlight on even during the daytime.
- Within built-up areas: 50 km/h
- Outside built-up areas: 100 km/h
- Dual carriageways (expressways): 100 km/h
- Motorways (freeways): 130 km/h
A vignette (toll sticker) is required for most motorways (freeways) and dual carriageways (expressways) in Austria. A toll is also payable for using various tunnels and mountain roads.
112 and 144
Legal alcohol limit
0.05% (50 mg/100 ml blood)
Motorcycle trips across the Austria borders
Here you will find country tips for motorcycle trips in Austria neighbouring countries.
* To provide you with even better support when you plan your next tour, we will shortly be adding still more countries.